Always Check The Gas Safe ID Card
New research by the Gas Safe Register has revealed that just two in five UK people (41%) who have hired a heating engineer check they're Gas Safe registered before letting them into their home.
This is despite the fact that heating engineers are the only tradespeople for whom it is necessary to be part of a registration body in order to legally carry out their work.
The Gas Safe Register teamed up with consumer psychologist Dr Simon Moore to investigate why UK people may cut corners and choose to have unsafe gas work completed by an unregistered heating engineer, putting them at risk of fires, explosions, gas leaks and carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning from faulty gas appliances.
According to Dr Simon Moore, the main reason we cut corners with gas is that "humans are naturally trusting and our brains are very good at introducing biases that encourage us to trust people." Combine this with the fact that most people are often very busy and short on time, and the likelihood of us cutting corners to make situations easier for ourselves increases.
Be Vigilant With Gas
Dr Simon Moore continued, "Many people make unconscious decisions about trusting people. However, when it comes to gas appliances in your home, this can become dangerous. When it comes to gas safety, it is vitally important that we put these to one side and be vigilant in ensuring that only Gas Safe registered engineers work on our gas appliances."
Don't Cut Corners
Chief Executive of the Gas Safe Register, Jonathan Samuel, added, "Don't cut corners when it comes to gas. Always check that your gas engineer is on the Gas Safe Register by remembering to check their ID card on the front and back to ensure they're qualified to work on gas appliances before letting them into your home."
Always Check Gas Safe ID Card
Ensure your gas appliances are not work on illegally by:
- Only employing a suitably qualified and registered heating engineer to do gas work - you can check their credentials on the Gas Safe website or by calling 0800 408 5500
- Not cutting corners - always ask to see your heating engineer's Gas Safe ID card
- If you suspect someone is working on gas appliances illegally, please report them on the Gas Safe website or by calling 0800 408 5500
Gas Safe Register's Top Tips
To keep you and your family safe, follow the following tips from the Gas Safe Register:
- Know the symptoms of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning - headaches, nausea, breathlessness, collapse, dizziness and loss of consciousness
- If you smell gas or think there may be a gas leak, call the free 24 hour national gas emergency number immediately on 0800 111 999
- Never attempt to work on gas appliances yourself, always seek the help of a qualified Gas Safe registered heating engineer who can work on your gas cooker, boiler or fire in a safe manner
We're Gas Safe Registered
Rest assured that M&N Heating & Plumbing is a Gas Safe registered company and all our relevant staff who would carry out work on your gas appliances are individually Gas Safe registered too. Our Gas Safe business registration number is 8146. Always remember to check for our Gas Safe ID cards before allowing our engineers in your home, it's for your own safety and a good habit to get into.
No Obligation Advice
If you would like more information on the Gas Safe Register, or would like some no obligation advice of on gas safety in your home (or your tenants' home if you're a landlord), don't hesitate to contact our friendly team who would be more than happy to help you. Either call us on 01295 224844 or enquire via our contact form.
Book Your Quote Now!
Vantage Business Park
Bloxham Road Banbury Oxfordshire OX16 9UX United Kingdom